Monday, October 22, 2012

So... I am done working for the day. I have weaving and spinning and sewing in my head... I know that I need to start on the weaving project that I got the yarn for.

I was just on Ravelry and I started writing something that really didn't fit in the forum I was on... but I feel that it is important and valuable to me as a person. So... I am going to post it here:

Hello. I am fairly new to Ravelry (been a member for along time but haven't really been on the site very often).

I have wanted to spin since I was very young. I took a spinning wheel class about a year ago in preparation for buying one of my own. However, since I now have Multiple Sclerosis and my feet are numb, I found that I couldn't treadle correctly (the wheel kept circling backwards and I couldn't tell what I was doing that was making it happen). I kept trying and trying, moved to different wheels with different treadle configurations and I couldn't make it stop happening. I was so frustrated that I left in tears and never went back.

The teacher reached out to me so many times... she was so helpful and kind... and I was just having none of it. At the time, the M.S. issues were still so new that I hadn't really accepted it yet in my head. But... I am different now. I know that I have M.S. and that changes what I can and can't do and I am okay with it. Now I am back with a new determination to enjoy spinning somehow.

A couple months ago I contacted her and she, of course, remembered me. I told her that I wanted to buy a spindle and some roving. I showed up at her shop and she gave me a one-on-one, free-of-charge class on how to spin with a spindle. She even gave me an old spindle that she had and lent me a new one to use also. I bought some gry wool roving of some sort (it is in a bag and I just look at it sidelong and covet it).

I think I am afraid of trying... and that means that I am just a big, huge chicken. :(

No comments: