Saturday, February 16, 2008

My First Warp

Well... I've put together the loom and taken the plunge. I've learned a few things about color. The color combinations I might like when looking at yarn skeins being held together might not thrill me when warped next to each other on the loom. Guess that isn't the most wondrous discovery ever made but still eye-opening for me.

MY FIRST PROJECT:
A scarf.

I'm creating it as I go and modifying it as I warp it.

When I bought the loom from a local dealer, I also bought "The Ashford Book of Rigid Heddle Weaving". Rowena Hart is the author of this book and she speaks wonderfully about color and how the choices are literally endless and completely up to my own fancy. I'm not trying the multi-colored Colour and Weave scarf project yet because it takes 6 colors of wool yarn and I didn't have the funds or the color selection available at the store I went to to allow myself to do it.

MY FIRST WARP:
- Woolease (80% acrylic, 20% wool) in Color 152 Oxford Grey
- Sensations Cello (100% polyester) in Color 14 Cello Space Yarn Dark Multi

My First Warp

I figure since all of the projects say that when you wash the finished piece it fulls the threads a bit and closes the gaps when using wool yarn then I am going to have to weave this a bit tighter initially since I'm sure it isn't going to shrink much when it's done.

QUESTIONS:
1. Has anyone out there woven with man-made fibers? If so, how did it turn out?
2. Notice how the eyelash yarn is sagging below the Woolease... that indicates stretch, right? Is that going to adversely affect my finished piece?

No comments: